Deadlifts are a total body exercise that strengthen your lower back, improve grip and develop a strong and stable core. Deadlifts are a favourite here at CrossFit Border, not only are they amazing for injury prevention, but you can look and feel stronger by doing them.
Learning to deadlift will teach you how to safely pick up heavy objects, strengthen the muscles that support the spine and protect you from injury.
HOW TO DEADLIFT
Start with a light weight such as a broomstick or an empty bar with some training plates just until you get your technique.
- Stand with your feet hip width apart and shoelaces under the barbell
- Lift your arms in front of you and pull your shoulders back whilst bracing your belly
- Bend from the hips and maintain a flat back (bend your knees if you need to)
- Grip the bar at shoulder width
- Pull your hips down until your shins touch the bar
- Drive through your feet and maintain a flat back
- Keep the bar close to your body and stand up tall
- Lower by pushing the hips back and keeping the bar close to your legs.
TIP: Always keep a flat back and your shoulders over the barbell.
WHEN TO DEADLIFT
Deadlifts can be performed for lower or higher reps depending on what you want out of them. If you are building strength then 3 to 5 sets of 5-8 reps is perfect. Or you can do 10-20 reps to work on conditioning. The main focus should be keeping a strong back.
When you can lift the weight for the right amount of reps with good form, increase the weight.
Now you’ve learned how to Deadlift properly, get into the gym and start incorporating it into your training. The benefits for building a strong back, hamstrings, core and grip are incredible and this fundamental lift should be a staple in your training.
Want a video on how to Deadlift? Check out Coach Belle taking you through the proper technique.